Paul Harris Society
The Paul Harris Society was established to recognize Rotarians and friends of Rotary who contribute at least 1,000.00 per person in their own names during each Rotary year (July 1 through June 30) to the Annual Fund or PolioPlus or approved grants of The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International. Donations to the Annual Fund supporting the World Fund or one of the six areas of focus as well as those designated for the PolioPlus fund or approved foundation grants will be used by The Rotary Foundation for the designated purpose. Contributions to the Endowment Fund do not lead to qualification for Paul Harris Society membership.
Contributions to the Annual Fund – Share are invested for three years. One-half of each original contribution is then returned to District 6460 as the District Designated Fund (DDF) and approximately one-half is provided to The Rotary Foundation World Fund to support humanitarian programs world-wide. The generation of the annual District Designated Fund (DDF) is important because it supports all District Grants as well as the District’s matching allocation for Global Grants, which includes the Global Grant Scholarships and Vocational Training Teams sponsored by District 6460 clubs.
Why Would I Choose to Join the Paul Harris Society?
The Rotary Foundation is the flagship of Rotary International’s efforts to offer “Service Above Self” to the world through educational and humanitarian projects. The contributions of individual Rotarians support world-wide programs that provide clean water and sanitation, promote basic education and literacy, improve maternal and child health and disease prevention and treatment, lead to economic and community development and conflict resolution, continue the race to eradicate polio, and fund Global Grants, Rotary World Peace Scholarships, District Grants, Global Scholarships, and Vocational Training Teams.
The Paul Harris Society provides a way for dedicated Rotarians to support this good work, while honoring Rotary founder Paul Harris. The Society was established on the premise that, although it is not appropriate for all members, there are many District 6460 Rotarians who are both willing and able to provide this level of support for initiatives that will make both our local communities and the world better places in which to live. Those donors who register to contribute $1,000 each year to the Rotary Foundation will become members of the Paul Harris Society and will be afforded the personal satisfaction that accompanies “Doing Good in the World.”
Society members will receive District-wide recognition on appropriate occasions and a distinctive blue and gold emblem or “ribbon,” that can be worn with the Paul Harris Fellow pin or the Rotary Member pin. They will also qualify for The Rotary Foundation’s Paul Harris Fellow or Multiple Paul Harris Fellow or Major Donor recognition.
How to Join the Paul Harris Society
Contribute at least $1,000.00 to the Annual Fund, PolioPlus, or approved Grant programs of The Rotary Foundation, with the intention of continuing this practice during each Rotary Year.
The simplest and most streamlined way to accomplish this is to:
- Choose “My Rotary” on the Rotary International home page at www.rotary.org
- Sign in and choose “Give.”
- The alternatives are listed. Links to information about recurring giving (Rotary Direct) and the Paul Harris Society are on the right side of the screen.
- Select one fund to receive your contributions, keeping in mind the information provided above and also remembering that only contributions to the Annual Fund will strengthen your club’s “Every Rotarian Every Year” and “Sustaining Member” club recognition banner opportunities.
- Set the amount and frequency to at least $85.00 monthly or $250.00 quarterly or a total of $1000.00 annually and specify the appropriate credit or debit card.
- Separate contributions for separate purposes can be readily set up; $500.00 for Annual Fund – Share and another $500.00 for PolioPlus is an example.
- Each of these recurring contributions will appear on your statements. Following the close of each calendar year, you will receive one contribution receipt showing all “Rotary Direct” contributions received by The Rotary Foundation during the preceding tax year.
- Changes can be made at any time by repeating this process.
How to Maintain Your Membership in the Paul Harris Society
Donate at least $1,000.00 to the Annual Fund, PolioPlus, or approved Grant programs of The Rotary Foundation during each successive Rotary year, following the procedure outlined above.